Tuesday 16 April 2013

Brighton//Biba and Beyond

I went to Brighton to check out the Biba and Beyond exhibition that was on show at the Royal Pavilion and Museums. I thought that it was a really interesting exhibition about Barbra Hulanicki, it gave a really interesting look into her work through various illustration and garments. I thought that it was a really strong point that they exhibition had various video interview elements to it about that I adored, it really gave such an insight into where Barbra was with her concepts and thoughts.


In one of the videos Barbra talked about how she entered the Evening Standard competition with a design of her aunt's choosing but also with one of her own and won. Another stand out video was probably the one in which she described the various stores she had and the themes and decor of them all, which honestly sounded amazing.



On a personal level her work isn't really something I'd be drawn to but again it was really interesting to see where she got influences from especially to discover she got a lot from various film styles. I think to see some of the garments of such a big name was something really spectacular especially to see her twist on such classic ideas. One of my favourite parts of the whole exhibition had to that it really highlighted her illustrations alongside her fashion work, something I favoured especially since she had such a strong stand out style.



No comments:

Post a Comment