Monday 22 April 2013

Lacroix//Schiaparelli

With the recent news of Christian Lacroix designing for Schiaparelli I anticipate something amazing. I really love the work Schiaparelli did with Salavador Dali, my favourite of it all being the famous skeleton dress desgined in 1938.


I think the reason I love this piece so much is just the sheer simplicity of it and almost irony of it, the idea of a dress based on human anatomy is something so bizare. I love how a dress is something to cover skin, which is something which covers bones and flesh and here you have a dress displaying bone. It's almost the idea of a reverse skin, highlighting bone instead of hiding it as if to present the beauty and complexity of human structure.

Showing his 15 piece collection in July duriung Paris fashion week Lacroix is expected to be creating reinterpretations of some of Schiaparelli's most famous designs so hopefully there will be another take on this wonderful dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment