Tuesday 30 April 2013

V+A//DavidBowieIs

As part of my uni work we're looking at doing a Bowie themed photoshoot, looking at more his Ziggy Stardust persona so for some inspiration I decided to check out the Victoria and Albert's David Bowie Is exhibition. 


Sponsered by Gucci I was really expecting a lot and honestly it really delivered, it had so much information about him, pictures and videos with the addition of music and sound by Sennheiser - which was a lovely touch. 

Going as a research visit really was so much different to just attending normally, I wanted to look at designers and really focus in on the fashion side of his persona. One thing I noticed was the amount of times he actually had worked with and wore Kansai Yamamoto, especially during the person and time period I wanted to learn more about 

I really thing Kansai Yamamoto's designers are one of the major reference points from the Ziggy Stardust persona, alongside the make up he wore and the signature hair. I think that both of these things together really helped him create characters. 

One of the major phrases I remembered was him saying he could either be himself or lots of characters and for him it was easier to do characters. I think this is another reason Bowie is such an important musical, style and famous icon he really did consider himself as someone playing characters.


Also it was really interesting to help gather a real feel of David Bowie's past, looking at how he was where he came from and looking at how he's grown as a musician and artist. It was interesting to see all the various different reference points which also went alongside his work it really gave an insight into his mind. 

With looking at his costumes I really think that David Bowie has a fascination with shape, looking at different shapes playing around with his body. Looking at his silhouette and changing it morphing into something else. I also love how he has such an influence and is a part of the design especially, I thought he'd be more someone who just allowed pieces to be created for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment