Thursday 6 June 2013

GFW// Higlights & Roundup!

With GFW finally over, it's time to look at all of my favourites I've seen the past few days. 
Shows, exhibitions, collections there's so much and so much to cover!

I'll start off my talking about the university shows which I saw and loved. 
My main loves were Ravensbourne, Northampton and Birmingham all three really stood out to me and I found myself talking note of the majority of the collections they presented to us! 
Notible mentions also for Bournemouth, Edinburgh, Manchester and Kingston who also put on interesting shows and collections of a really good standard. 

Obviously I've pointed out my favourites from the shows and they still stand but there are a few graduates who's work I still loved too!

//Jack Bebbington - Ravensbourne//

//Sophie Conroy - Northampton//

 
//Ajmal Khan - Birmingham//

I loved Jack Bebbington's work so much, his menswear collection was probably one of the strongest I'd seen all week. Sophie Conroy's collection had such a strong mix of colours, pattern and the styling with the goggles really giving it a great feel. Ajmal Khan I've mentioned before but I really wanted to just share this photo because it shows exactly why I loved his collection so much!

Another aspect of GFW I wanted to mention briefly, mainly because I really didn't get time to check them out much was all the different exhibition stands. Although the main two I did visit and check out in a lot of depth were Northampton and Edinburgh for two reasons. One being Northampton also do footwear so I wanted to check that out and also seeing if I could see Edinburgh's accesories. 

//Northampton// 

//Charlotte Peacock// 

//Sophie Salem// 

//Fern Sherrif// 

I really wanted to check out the Northampton footwear section too, mainly because there are so little footwear courses out there. These three stood out to me the most, all giving me a really nice innovative feel. Firstly Charlotte Peacock's docs are amazing, seriously talently and they're such an clever idea. They really catch your eye and attention, they've got that personalised feel that docs usually deliver and they're well made too. 

Sophie Salem's collection was really interesting to me, looking almost like a piece of fine art or a sculpture instea of a shoe. Looking almost like coral they really do give off a feeling of nature and natural creation and capture that beauty. Fern Sherrif's shoe above I mean come on look at it! It's gorgeous what more needs to be said? I love the idea of it and the blue running through the plastic tops it off, again another person who's taking footwear and delivering fine art. 

//Edinburgh// 


So on Sunday I mentioned about Clare Baird and her bags and I really wanted another chance to see them, realising that they were actually on display in the Edinburgh stand! A collection of bags that I think work together so so well, the mix of metal, wood and colour is everything and they deliver. I think these bags would be perfect to shoot for an editorial! 

Touching on different areas I haven't I also wanted to mention two desginers who's collections really stood out to me and they are Leanne Warren and Phiney Pet, their illustrations I've seen since and giving me an even fresher take and love for their collections.

//Leanne Warren - Ravensbourne//


//Phiney Pet - Ravensbourne//

LOVE is all I can about both of their illustrative styles, they're absolute genius and so different ways of illustrating. Leanne using just black and white with touches of colour and the Phiney Pet going all out in a colour explosion. Phiney's collection even made it as one of the 25 students who's work was put into the Gala Show yesterday and I managed to speak to her and tell her how much I loved her work!

Graduate Fashion Week has deffinitely been a treat especially to be surrounded and submerged in so much fashion and graduate work. There have been a lot of good designers showing there work, I've obvisouly picked out my main designers in most shows so I wish them the best of luck for the future! 

Hopefully next year will be even bigger and better!

No comments:

Post a Comment