Thursday 16 May 2013

British Vogue // Alexandra Shulman Talk

So yesterday we were lucky enough to have Alexandra Shulan, Editor of British Vogue come to Ravensbourne to have a talk about Vogue.



Firslty, it was such a interesting talk and also an honour to have her come to uni. She talked about so many things and wanting to possible follow into a career like hers I was so glad to hear her talk about her work.

During the talk she taked about some really interesting things British Vogue had done, also touching on various obvious points I hadn't thought about. When talking about cover imagery she added that the cover must be the most comerical thing in the whole magazine, it's never really been something I've thought about. To sell the magazine it's really important to have that comercial cover to speak to everyone and really draw in sales. 

She also talked about the success of the December 1999 cover, which I found interesting, really looking at how special collectors editions can really help boost sales, press and interest. I really love the concept of this Vogue cover really speaking out to the customer, making them the cover star. It's genius.


I also enjoyed the other topics she covered: the Vogue Festival, Digital vs Print content, Vogue as a platform for talent and British fashion at the current. 

I think one of the main issues that I really thought about from the talk was almost the power a magazine can have, Alexandra talked about Vogue being respected because it has authority because of its longevity. I think this is such an interesting and true idea, Vogue stands as the main authority of fashion news and content not to say it is the only thing you should read and follow. I think the Vogue festival is a really interesting concept too especially since fashion is ever growing as a topic of entertainment.

The talk really was a pleasure, for me being a student wanting to head into the fashion industry having someone in such a highly regarded position and of such authority come and deliver a talk is amazing. It's inspiring to see the people that make me want to work in the industry and I love the fact that Alexandra doesn't regard print as a dead medium, something we both seem to agree on!

No comments:

Post a Comment