Sunday 12 May 2013

Punk//Chaos to Couture

With all the focus around the Met Gala and their Punk Chaos to Couture exhibition I wanted to highlight something I found really interesting about it all. 


I saw this picture circulating around the internet of Grace Coddington being interview about the night, her reply being: 

"Well I'd Like to see some real punks in here, some real street punks. But I doubt they were invited." 

In all honesty, the woman has a point. Now excuse me for being someone to dampen the mood but personally I don't see how Kim Kardashian attending is remotely punk in the slightiest. It's almost insulting. Kim Kardashian is probably the opposite of punk, again not to attack her but I felt this with most people who attended and dressed up with to the 'punk theme'. 

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of it all but is it really okay to imply that punk is just a costume, rather than a culture? 



So compare the difference between real punk shot by Steve Johnston in 1978 to Katy Perry and Madonna today in 2013, I think it's almost so far removed is it really punk? I mean certain outfits have been deemed questionable and the fact they still were worn to the Gala has been described as acting 'pretty punk' but in all honesty, get a grip. I think there's more to punk that just the style and some people really did look amazing and I think yeah that outfit is punk. But it's also more than that they pull it off because they feel it, rather than dressing and looking out of place. 


Anja Rubik and Miley Cyrus are two people who personally I think look amazing, Anja in Anthony Vaccarello looks amazing and Miley in Marc Jacobs. These two both managed to capture the essence of punk rather than just using it as a costume. Especially with Miley and her Disney upbringing it's like two different people. 

I really think that the who affair just ironically really isn't very punk. Like Grace said, she doubts any real/street punks were invited, which is probably be a good thing because they'd most likely be offended. I do think it's a good thing that punk influences luxury brands and designers, I think it's great to see designers using youth and subcultures as something to be respected rather than ignored.

But I think getting various A-Listers to dress up to a 'punk theme' can just misses the whole idea of punk. I think you could almost call it ignorant, I know it goes hand in hand with their exhibition but then still is the respect there or was it just seen as a theme?



No comments:

Post a Comment