Sunday 12 May 2013

Small Galleries//Benefit

So as part of my group project, which is to create a magazine we're looking at doing a piece on smaller galleries around London.
I've been slowly visiting a few including:

// Large Glass //

392 Caledonian Road London N1 1DN

//The Crypt Gallery//

St Pancras Church, Euston Rd, London NW1 2BA

I've still got a few more to see but as I've been viewing these exhibitions and galleries I've had a few questions to think about.

What is the benefit of these small galleries?

It can't be money, so then what? Is it that the smaller galleries possibly care more about art looking to display works even at a small cost. I was talking about this idea to some artists who'd presented work at the Crypt Gallery and they'd said it hadn't really cost them at all. So is it more that the work being exhibited, gaining it press, gaining the artists press, do the smaller galleries have this more in mind?

I think personally smaller galleries are brilliant I mean the Tate or V&A are great if they're presenting something you really want to see but most of the time they're really tourist based. I've seen various exhibitions at both including David Bowie Is and Yayoi Kusama and I'm not saying both weren't brilliant and excellently curated. But there's something else to these smaller venues.

The Cyrpt will most likely become a regular favourite now I've been, generally because they've started with a building with character and history rather than some collection of purpose built white walls. I'ts punk in a sense of wanting to break away from that and I think it's brilliant. 

I think something I really want to look out for is smaller art groups and exhibitions, especially not just in London only, I think they're so much more interesting than the majority of work around in big galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment