Monday 6 May 2013

Death of//Street Style

 I was reading an article from the Sunday Times about street style, is street style still a relevant source of inspiration?


Do we really think that street style is once what it was or has it really started to fall into a state of dull personalities who dress up more so for attention than a style choice. I think there are really two ways of looking at this argument you've got people who think that their style is just a part of them, an expression and you've got others who use style as a way to get attention especially at events such as fashion week. 

Personally I don't see any of this as a negative, I think that style is something which people should really play around with. I've recieved a fair few comments about my style sometimes describing it in a negative light and I wonder what people's issue is. People always seem to question certain aspects of the way I dress, mainly the fact I wear clothes which are bigger than they need to be. I really don't see what the problem with me wearing a large is if im a small - medium, I prefer the fit of a large it becomes a personal choice. 

The article had people describe people dressing up for fashion week and said that its something which should be ignored and it'll die down. I think being in the fashion industry there's going to be things you don't like and things you do, for example personally I tend to avoid the highstreet for various reasons. Does that mean you totally dismiss something because you don't like it?


Looking at both of these pictures from Facebook page 'Self Styled London' of Alexis Knox and Alis Pelleschi, here you've got a facebook page which focuses in on peoples individual style which I regard as something really interesting. Why not gather people and images of really vibrant style? I think style is a huge scale you have so many different people at different parts of the market, people who buy luxury brands and people who buy fast fashion. What I think is more interesting is how they choose to actually wear the pieces, what they put them with and how it ends up as a final result. 

I think thats why to me street style really is inspirational, I don't think its dead at all. To me street style is a really interesting and good way to see how trends are being worn, looking for new trends and styles. It's a way for designers to see whats popular and trying to move towards what the market wants. 



No comments:

Post a Comment