Saturday 11 May 2013

Philip Treacy // Fascinator

For a photoshoot for our magazine project we're really starting to think about the idea of doing a photoshoot based around headpieces, after looking at the idea of Baz Lurhmann's women it's been given a renaissance feel to it too, as I was reading I found this // Article // all about Phillip Treacy declaring that fascinators are dead. 

As we know the genius that is Phillip Treacy has brought hats into the public eye time and time again designing headwear for everyone. He talks about how cheap production killed the fascinator and really moved it away from being a piece of millinery genius, so maybe this is something to think about when we do our shoot. Maybe try and think about the return of real hats, grand hats.



Personally I think I have to agree with him, to me I think headwear can really add to a general look and improve on it especially on a catwalk, helping raise pieces and clothing to another level. Plus with their importance in costume and with their links to class and class dressing I really do see his point, but again is this just not the same for every part of fashion now?

We all want what we deem as glamourous and we want it cheap. I mean look at clothing in Primark you can get basic clothing for so cheaply you have to think about how much money the people making these garments get? I think millinery is something we don't see enough of and from seeing various pieces of Phillip Treacy's work at various exhibitions I have to agree that "...now they are no more than headbands with a feather stuck on with a glue gun" 

 I think with Ascot looking to tackle their dress codes in 2012 with more enforcement on headwear really adds to the idea of fascinators are considered unfashionable and have been so overdun they're now just a total faux pas. It's really clear that what everyone is dying to see is something to do with hats, proper hats styled to add to an outfit rather.

I think all of this is going to be something really interesting to think about when doing our photoshoot, with regards to styling choices and also shooting. Do we aim more concentration to the hats or do we have a mix of beauty, focus of the hats and also focus on the outfits?

No comments:

Post a Comment